Key Stage 1: Year 1 (ages 5-6) and Year 2 (ages 6-7)
- Our aim is for children to enjoy their time at school and to develop knowledge, understanding and values in order to reach their full potential in all academic and social areas of school life.
- The work of each year group is guided by the appropriate level of the English National Curriculum, Key Stage 1, which is by nature broad and balanced. Subject areas include English Language, Mathematics, Science, Geography, History, Design and Technology, Art and Craft, Music, Physical Education, Health Education, Religious Education and Information Technology.
- In Language and Literacy we aim to provide a rich and stimulating environment in which children find interest and pleasure in communicating in English. They are offered many experiences to develop their interest in reading with fluency, accuracy, understanding and enjoyment. The development of handwriting skills forms an important part of Language and Literacy.
- In Mathematics and Science we aim to develop a knowledge and understanding of the role of these subjects in everyday life. Children are encouraged to relate their Mathematics and Science work to other areas of the curriculum and the skills and attitudes acquired are important components of cross-curricular topic work.
- Spanish Curriculum is taught from Year 1 as stipulated by the Spanish Ministry of Education. The sessions are planned using a practical approach as King’s do with the National Curriculum. This allows children to be creative, have fun and learn through practice instead of traditional approaches.